If there’s ever a time to get creative with cocktails, it’s Christmas. I find that preparing cocktails to offer guests as they enter your home, is the perfect way to set the mood. If I’m preparing a special cocktail, I like to keep the ingredients a secret and let friends or family guess what I’ve used. This Bergamot and Elderflower cocktail recipe, tends to keep guests guessing for quite some time. Marie Brizard Bergamot liqueur and Saint Germain Elderflower liqueur are the primary flavours, but I mix them with a ginger and Tonka Bean syrup, and a squeeze of mandarin juice, so it’s not the most obvious flavour profile. These ingredients do, however, work very well together and make the perfect easy-to-drink Christmas cocktail. Here’s the recipe!
Bergamot and Elderflower Cocktail Recipe
For the Tonka and Ginger syrup (makes enough for roughly 10 cocktails)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 Tonka Beans finely grated
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger
For the cocktail
- 1 shot of Marie Brizard Bergamot Liqueur
- 1 shot of Elderflower Liqueur I used Saint Germain
- ½ shot of Tonka Bean and Ginger Syrup
- 1 mandarin juiced.
- Make the syrup by placing all ingredients in a saucepan. Heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Allow to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool. The syrup can be stored in an air-tight container for a couple of weeks.
- To make the cocktail, place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with several ice cubes. Give it a good shake and serve.