A Raspberry Rose Gin Fizz for all the Valentine’s Day Haters
Can we all just be honest and admit that Valentine’s day is a ridiculous holiday ?! Seriously, do we need a day where we feel pressured to act romantic; a day where you feel ridiculous among other smooching couples in restaurants; a day where shops try to pressure you into buying tacky looking underwear. It’s not often my feminist side rears its head but I find this celebration to be a bit backwards. Perhaps it’s time men spent the day waxing nether regions and forking out their hard-earnt money on ridiculous underwear and us woman can simply stop by the florist and buy a half-dead rose on our way home. It seems like a better deal to me. Or, we can just put an end to this ridiculous day and get on with life.
This Raspberry, Lychee and Rose Gin Fizz is for all my fellow haters of Valentine’s Day. Cheers to you all!
Raspberry Rose and Lychee Gin Fizz
- 250g of sugar
- 250g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 60ml of good quality gin
- Juice of half a lemon
- 5 lychees, finely chopped
- ½ tsp of rose water
- 20ml of cream
- 1 egg white
- Soda water
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and raspberries. Gentle bring to a boil and allow to simmer until all the sugar has dissolved. Pass the mixture through a sieve to remove the raspberry seeds and place in the fridge to cool. This is your raspberry syrup.
- Place the gin, lemon juice, rose water, cream, egg white, 100ml of the raspberry syrup and the lychees into a cocktail shaker, and shake well for at least a minute. Add the ice and shake for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into a glass and slowly top with soda water. Be careful because it can easily fizz up and overflow. Enjoy straight away!